Cottage Cheese Berry Nice Camping Ice-Cream
There are dozens of easy camping desserts and DIY camping treat recipes that make watching the sunset that much sweeter. But there's something about ice cream that hits the spot on a warm summer evening unlike anything else.
Seeing camping and ice cream in the same sentence might be unexpected, but Pro Chef Sarah Glover's cottage cheese berry nice ice cream should move to the top of your camping recipe list.
No ice cream maker necessary.
Sweet and Healthy
Enjoying the beauty of the outdoors doesn't have to mean sacrificing the things you love, including delicious food. Sarah is a master of keeping it gourmet, healthy, and easy while on the road.
"Who would have thought that you can have ice cream while road tripping or adventuring, but thanks to the Dometic CFX3 portable fridge/ freezer, - it’s possible," says Sarah. "Not only is it possible to make ice cream but it can be healthy too."
This ice cream recipe has a cottage cheese base, which means its packed with protein, and sweetened naturally with maple syrup. It's a crowd pleaser and a treat that even the kids will love.
Customize To Your Taste Buds
Ice cream toppings can be hard to agree upon. So, feel free to switch things up with chocolate chips, peanut butter, or mini marshmallows. The sky is truly the limit.
"The great thing about this recipe is you can switch out the topping and flavors so get creative and happy freezing," says Sarah.
Cottage Cheese Berry Nice Camping Ice-Cream Recipe
- 2 cups (16 oz)full fat cottage cheese
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Raspberries (or your favorite berries) for topping
- Waffle cone for serving
- Whipped Cream for serving
- Add cottage cheese, maple syrup and vanilla to a food processor, or a large bowl if mixing by hand, and pulse/stir until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a container or a loaf pan, add your favorite topping, (Sarah added raspberries).
- Place in your CFX3, set to 30 degrees Fahrenheit, and freeze for about 4 hours, or until hard.
- When frozen, scoop out into a waffle cone, top with your favorite berries and toppings. (Sarah prefers a strawberry coulis and whipped cream.)
Curious to see the must-haves for Sarah's camp kitchen? See Sarah’s favorite gear from Dometic, including the powered cooler that helped make this recipe possible.